The Marvel Movie Tournament is now down to eight films. Voting for Round 4 of the Marvel Movie Tournament is now open! The updated bracket and poll are below.
By the end of Round 2 the remaining three Spider-Man films were eliminated and the field was whittled to two franchises. #1 seed Spider-Man lost to #5 Thor: The Dark World in the biggest upset of the tournament so far and #2 seed Spider-Man 2 lost handily to #3 Captain America: The Winter Soldier. With these two upsets, the Marvel Cinematic Universe continued to dominate the field, putting six films into the Elite 8 of the tournament. The X-Men are the only other franchise left to take the title away from the combined universe.
Both X-Men and X-Men: Days of Future Past will be favorites to advance to the Final Four and with the two films sitting on opposite sides of the bracket, we still could see an all X-Men Finals. It should be noted that the remaining X-Men films are the first and last films in that franchise, hold the highest rating on Rotten Tomatoes of any two films in the tournament, and are both directed by Bryan Singer. Singer is the only director to put two films into the Elite 8. Captain America is the only character to star in three of the remaining films.
Round 3 match-ups include two of the biggest summer movies of 2014 going head to head, Iron Man taking on an MCU origin flick for the second round in a row and the two X-Men films taking on MCU Phase 2 films.
Round 2 Results:
- #1 The Avengers (100%) defeats #4 The Incredible Hulk (0%)
- #2 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (79%) defeats #3 X2: X-Men United (21%)
- #1 X-Men: Days of Future Past (77%) defeats #4 Iron Man 3 (23%)
- #2 Guardians of the Galaxy (74%) defeats #3 X-Men: First Class (26%)
- #5 Thor: The Dark World (54%) defeats #1 Spider-Man (48%)
- #2 X-Men (74%) defeats #3 The Amazing Spider-Man (26%)
- #1 Iron Man (81%) defeats #4 Thor (19%)
- #3 Captain America: The First Avenger (55%) defeats #2 Spider-Man 2 (45%)